Saturday, February 24, 2007

So Many Books

About a month ago, I seem to remember that I had nothing to read. I seem to remember that I thrashed around the house, whining, "I have nothing to read!" The universe tends to take care of this problem.

Today, on my to-be-read pile:

Bought by me in mid-thrash-and-whine from Major Internet Retail Establishment (MIRE?) where you can go ahead and look any of these up, because I just do not have the wherewithall to link to them all:
Abraham by Bruce Feiler (half read - must finish for a Bible study I'm leading at chuch)
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (the first 6 pages are hilarious)
Why Men Hate Going to Church (weirdly, the one book on this whole list that I've actually read cover-to-cover.)
Thirst Mary Oliver

Received in post-Christmas white elephant gift exchange
Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Loaned by a friend who looked deep into my eyes and whispered, "this is one of my favorite books of all time." Obviously, I have to take it real seriously, so it's feeling like sort of a heavy assignment.
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Loaned by my spiritual director, who thinks it will be a good companion to "why men hate..."
Male and female realities: Understanding the opposite sex by Joe Tanenbaum

Finally came up all at once on my queue at the library, some after being on my wish list for more than six months
The View from Castle Rock Alice Munro
Miss Alcott's Email Kit Bakke
Water for Elephants Sara Gruen
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman

and I'm still slogging through
Living a Life that Matters by Harold Kusher, which I also got at the library awhile back, and I like but which now has been has been hanging around way too long and now feels like Hard Work.

Purchased by me today (what was I thinking!?!?) at what I thought was a neighborhood church pancake breakfast, but which turned out to have a small "...and book sale" attached to the sign that I did not notice. Or I never would have gone. Yeah.
Heart Steps: Prayers and Declarations for a Creative Life by Julia Cameron
The Subject Tonight Is Love: 60 Wild and Sweet Poems of Hafiz by Daniel Landinsky
Dreams from My Father: A story of race and inheritance by Barack Obama
Radical Gratitude by Mary Jo Leddy

No time to blog! Or knit! Or make dinner! Or sleep! Must go back to putting these books into piles, picking one up, reading three pages, putting it down and starting another one.

No comments: