Sunday, October 08, 2006

Subtext

Work is heavy this week. And on top of that heaviness, at home we have a crashed up van, colds in various stages and mild crankiness. Time to pray.

Our Father/Mother/Creator/Whatever who art in heaven
...instead of being right here, right now, where I need you. I'm not feeling very like Job and I'm tempted to curse, but the next line is coming so instead I'll say

Hallowed be they name
OK, I'm starting this prayer over. Dear dear dear dear God -

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
There are two on my mind who have to make some hard choices, and soon - choices between life and death. Help them to choose life, even if it means saying goodbye to a beloved.

On earth as it is in heaven.
We know about goodbye. This week we said goodbye to a dear soul, and you welcomed her home to you. Help us to grieve and rejoice in equal measure.

Give us this day our daily bread
Be with the women who have lost their children. There are no words to comfort them, but you know how be with them in their grief, God. Surround them with love and mercy and as much comfort as is possible.

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
A friend takes a new path today, and she's doing it well. As she starts fresh, help me to start fresh, too. Help me to wipe clean the past.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Oh, dear heart, you know the biggest temptation is Temptation Itself, and It showed Itself to me today - just a glimpse, just enough to be tantalizing. Help me remember who you want me to be. Help me to also walk the path you've set before me.

For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
"Thine" means "yours," which is Whose I want to be. Thanks for reminding me. I need alot of reminding, so don't forget to throw yourself in my way as often as possible. Because I need you, God, to put yourself where I can trip over you, especially at times like this when I cant find you by myself. Thank you for that.

Amen.
Amen.

No comments: