Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Something to think about

I very occasionally read Ragged Edge online to catch up on what disability rights folks are up to. Through them, I found this article about disability simulation exercises. I guess if someone had asked me, I would have had either no opinion or a slightly positive opinion of these exercises.

This article, though, has really made me think about it. Check this out:
I AM BAFFLED AS TO WHY nondisabled people see a need to simulate a disability in order to understand our situation. Across our nation in February, we celebrate Black History Month. Is it necessary for people with white skin to paint their faces black to better understand this minority? Should heterosexuals be asked to experience homosexuality so we are not homophobic?

Should I expect to be able to teach someone how to drive a car, diaper and dress a baby and make the bed with their feet as I do? Am I amazing? No; I am just living my life.

It's worth reading the whole thing.

No comments: