Friday, December 22, 2006

Friday Five

Since I seem to be blogging again, (last night I dreamed that David Letterman read my blog and had me on his show, then I watched my computer as my inbox filled up with more than 4000 messages. Heh. Havent had a Delusions of Fame Dream in a while, Christine!)here's the Friday Five by way of the RevGals.

1. Favorite cookie/candy/baked good without which, it's just not Christmas.
Well, I haven't had them in years, but Mom's turtle cookies - some kind of sugar cookie with pecan legs and brown sugar/butter melted in a little dimple on top are pretty unforgettably incredibly awesome. And, of course, Martha's Lime Meltaways (esp if made by sister-in-law Norah, The Goddess of All Holiday Baking).

2. Do you do a fancy dinner on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, both, or neither? (Optional: with whom will you gather around the table this year?)
Well, let's see...
Christmas Eve: I thank the newborn baby Jesus every year that husband Jeff's family tradition was spaghetti, right out of the jar, on Christmas Eve. It lets me feel like I'm doing something really nice for him, while making the easiest meal ever on the busiest day of the year. I do, however, have to eat it with a big apron on to protect my pretty church clothes from splotchies.
Christmas Morning: The Great Big Waffle Open House.
Christmas Evening: No big plans, but maybe we'll have my family's favorite dinner - popcorn, apples and cheese.
Hmm...I guess this would have to qualify as definitely not fancy.

3. Evaluate one or more of the holiday beverage trifecta: hot chocolate, wassail, egg nog.

Wassail? No idea what that even is.
Egg nog? First, unintentional drunkenness, at a parent of my friend's Christmas party occurred because of a couple glasses of egg nog. Nothing too traumatic happened as a result, and I still like to drink eggnog (unlike hard cider, which I can tell you about some other time), so I guess it doesn't actually make that great a story. Let's move on.
Hot Chocolate? No thank you. Chocolate is poison. (says Migraine Lady)
Goodness, my holiday beverage answers are woefully lacking in holiday cheer. Try the next one.

4. Candy canes: do you like all the new-fangled flavors or are you a peppermint purist?

I have no opinion about that. Oh dear, this is just getting worse.

5. Have you ever actually had figgy pudding? And is it really so good that people will refuse to leave until they are served it?
Ah, high-carb baked desserts! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I've never had figgy pudding, but this summer I got a big batch of fresh figs and made a kind of Fig Crisp out them with nectarines and it was real, real yummy.

No comments: