Friday, March 24, 2006

Retreating

Last week, a woman excused her husband from our gathering by saying "he didn't feel like socializing" and followed it up with "but don't tell him I said that - he'd rather say he was tired."

I've been reflecting since then on the craziness of a culture in which it is more acceptable to be worn out than alone.

So, this weekend, I'm going on a retreat with 70 other women. I will not be alone. I will certainly get worn out. But I'm looking forward to a break in the routine, a little bit of woods around me, and a chance to celebrate the Feminine Divine, in all her spring-time gloriousness.

I wanted to write more about my hopes for the weekend, but I was busy scrubbing the bathtub. My family may not have me this weekend but by God they will be able to bathe in a clean tub.

Speaking of crazy.

No comments: