Never never never start a new job, pack to move, and start your son in day care in the same week. Here's what I mean. Today I:
1. Dropped Eli at daycare. Waited for the second day for the wails and drama which were NOT forthcoming. So I felt sad that he was so non chalant about the the whole thing, then guilty for feeling sad, then angry for feeling guilty....It was not a helpful emotional loop with which to start the day.
2. Was almost in two separate horrible accidents. I was driving around in the rain on the lovely yet mind boggling streets of the neighborhood where I'm working, looking for a parishoner's house by watching the street names, the house numbers and the cute little directory that has everyone's name in it and NOT the road itself. Made a couple of u-turns that would have been disasters if the good people behind me had not been driving very carefully.
3. Went to my friend's storage unit to pick up the computer boxes and got the wrong ones so now we have to go back again and pick up the right ones. Like I dont have ENOUGH to do. And until Friday when I can do it, the boxes are just hulking in the living room, making innuendos, calling me names and blowing raspberries behind my back.
4. Had to take the car to the shop because it's making that teeth-on-edge metal grinding sound when I apply the brakes. Which my friend could hear too, when we were driving around on the useless box errand, which meant that I could no longer ignore it in the hopes that it would go away. After Eli and I dropped the car off, we stopped at a little crepe shop for a snack and since we were the only ones in the place I got talking to the guy who worked there.
"So you're moving huh? Pack your TV yet?"
"We dont have a TV."
"Oh, too bad because one of the girls who comes here is going to be on TV tonight."
"The Bachelor. She's one of the Bachlorettes. Alma."
Then he went on to show me another customer's CD that she (the singer, not Alma) had autographed. He's going to hang up the CD case and also a signed headshot of Alma in his restaurant. I offered to bring him my picture, since I'm a famous associate pastor in Magnolia, but he didn't go for it for some reason.
I have nothing original to say about the nature of fame, and I gotta admit I'm as intrigued by Roy's dramatic recovery from the lion attack as any housewife in America, but I will say that sometimes I can see right through the very thin veil that separates the regular folks from the famous ones and it's hard not to find our whole culture pretty absurd when that happens.
4. Tried to pack a few boxes. Got a big one ready for Goodwill that had some stuff from kitchen cupboards in it including things I had never seen like the cookbook entitled "A Taste of Tradition: A Collection of Recipes from the Valley View Women's Club." WHAT???
5. Picked a fight with Jeff when he came home from work which ended in giggles (mine) when he actually said, "I just dont understand your relationship with lentils at all."
There is nothing left to do now but read a psalm and go to bed. And I thank God for that.