Monday, November 30, 2009

Advent Retreat - Right On Time

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to." Gandalf

It's 7:15 in the morning, and I'm already feeling late. With the RevGals, I'm co-facilitating an advent retreat today and it's already been going on for hours and hours - Mompriest and Songbird have already posted their thoughts on Advent, mine will come up in a few more hours.

So I'm beginning the day by breathing and pushing back the feeling that I'm already late - late for the day, late to the season, late to understand what is going on somehow. This is an old feeling, and a tired one, the feeling that Everyone Else Gets It,and somehow I do not. Yesterday, I told my church "It's about you, but it's not ONLY about you," and I remember those reassuring words today. Advent arrives, and then the Christ Child whether I am awake or not, whether I am ready or not, whether I understand or not.

It's Monday morning, and there are a few things to do. I just woke up from a vivid dream which makes me think there is someone I should visit very soon. There is breakfast to get and Bible study to prepare. I am not too late. Neither are you. Wherever you are, whatever time zone you are in, it's time to arrive in your day.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

By 9:15 today I'd taken Lucy to school early, gotten a filling, walked Sam and come home again, but I still felt as you describe. I'm not "there" where Advent is concerned, despite the tree already up in my living room (lit, not decorated). Maybe that's my theme image.

reverendmother said...

Thank you.

Gannet Girl said...

I have finally, after fifteen months, started to think that it is a good thing that these liturgical seasons, arrive ready of not. I do not expect to be "ready" for many years more, but they give me a framework of normalcy and community to at least look out upon.

Sarah S-D said...

i was so much more adventy last year as it began, for so many reasons. but thanks for this.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

gg - I kept trying to explain advent to my dear low-church folk at bible study this morning - wish I would have had your quote then. it says it exactly.