Monday, December 20, 2004

music is what does it

So, my pal is coming over on Christmas day to have breakfast with our little family and she called today to make sure that we have a copy of the Grinch, so she can do a reading of it. Which is what makes the day for her. And that is such an easy one (thank god it's not "Can you please make this plum pudding from my grandmother's recipe?) that I'm happy to oblige.

What is it for me? Well, church of course, and I'm loving that part this year. Not baking anymore, or cutting my own tree. Not presents. Absolutely NOT a visit to Santa.

I think it's a celebration because of the music and this year I'm REALLY getting filled up. A toddler-length visit to the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra annual Christmas concert at Ballard library. Caroling with folks from church to some of our shut in members and remembering "Oh! This is what church is for!" in the sweet voices and the tears in the eyes of the singers and the singees. A date (!) with Jeff to see the Total Experience Gospel Choir (on their ONE NIGHT OFF from Black Nativity) rocking the house - even though it WAS Shoreline. And the Blind Boys of Alabamain the car. (I challenge you to listen even once to that CD and not be humming In The Bleak Midwinter all day long.)

Oh boy, writing all these down, I see what a long list is! Thank you Jesus for this abundance! Whatever happens the rest of the week is icing on the cake.

No comments: