Friday, June 01, 2007

Friday Five - Hopes and Dreams Edition

1. Think back to the time you left High School, what were your hopes visions and dreams for your life/ for the world?

Honestly? When the boss of my summer job asked me what I really wanted to do when I got to college, I answered that I wanted to "stay out all night." Evidently, this was an issue. When I got to college, I realized pretty quickly that if you have no usual curfew there's not that much of a thrill in staying out all night and in fact it just feels yucky.

I dont remember having any particular academic or career ambitions. My parents say that when I called home my first week, I talked alot about my new friends and the parties I was going to, but when they asked me about the coursework, I said, "Huh? Classes?"

I know I wanted to get married and have a large family.

And, like every other 18 year old girl in America, I wanted world peace.

2. Have those hopes visions and dreams changed a lot, or are some of them still alive and kicking? (share one if you can)

Well, I'm pretty much all over staying out all night. After what seemed like a long time, I got married to just the right person, and now we have a small family that is just the right size. World peace? Still working on that one.


3. Hebrews 11:1 " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " Comforting, challenging or frustrating?

Comforting, especially in a hard week of ministry like this one.

4. If resources were unlimited, and you had free reign to pursue a vision what would it be?

Wow, unlimited. Well, start with ending the war in Iraq. Then take care of AIDS in Africa. A creative end to global warming. Cure MD. Stop the violence in Darfur and Colombia. Create a climate of peace and justice between South and North Korea. In general, as a seminary prof once shared his shortened prayers for tired nights: "more of the good stuff, less of the bad stuff." The reign of God.

But really, if you want to know the truth, for myself, right now, in the world as it is, I think things are pretty much going just like they're supposed to. That's a good feeling.

5. Finally with summer upon us- and not to make this too heavy- share your dream holiday....where, when and who with...
For some reason, ever since I was a real little girl, I've always wanted to go to San Diego. With son and husband would be lovely. And during a PNW February would probably be good.

No comments: