Friday, October 07, 2005

Friday Five

Havent posted in a week, and still not sure what to write about today - BUT thought this might be a kickstart from the RevGalBlogPals:

1) What is your earliest memory of church?
My dad (and pastor, but I dont think I knew that then - I think I was just relating to him as my dad) telling a scary story about being alone with his brother when they were small and his brother telling him a scary story. Which is weird, because church wasnt at all scary for me - in fact I mostly remember it being really safe and getting to do fun things like drinking all the dozens of tiny cups of leftover communion juice (we were Methodists in those days, natch) and one time, chasing a bat out of the sanctuary. But I still think the very first memory is the scary story.

2) How old were you when you first took Communion?
Hmm, are we counting the leftovers (see #1)? I guess I don't remember other than that. I find myself wishing here that this was a bigger moment for me.

3) What is your favorite Bible verse/passage?
This SO depends on the day. But ones that keep coming to the top are: Psalm 46 (especially the king james, but only for this one) or Romans 12 or the story of Thomas getting to see Jesus (don't call him The Doubter to ME, sister) or pretty much anything about Moses.

4) What verse/passage nicks you uncomfortably?
Well, I got kind of zinged during my ordination interview on "no one comes to the father except through me" and that one still always makes me kind of squirmy.

5) What's your favorite hymn or praise song?
Oh, geez, this is even harder than the Bible question. Not counting Christmas carols (my current favorite of which is Eli singing Hawk De Hewawd Angews Sing) Probably all time fave would be "Joyful, Joyful..."

But when I closed my eyes and thought "what's your favorite hymn, honey?" (SEE, you CAN be your own spiritual director!) I started humming "In the Midst of New Dimensions" which is #391 in the New Century Hymnal. Do the rest of ya'll have that one? Well, it's as good a vision as any I know of the Kingdom, and it has a pretty great tune, too. So I'll stick with that.

But ask me again in ten minutes and it'll probably be another one.

No comments: